Custody, towing and sale or disposal of abandoned vehicle; general provisions.
(1) After providing notice required under ORS 819.170 and, if requested, a hearing under ORS 819.190, an authority described under ORS 819.140 may take a vehicle into custody and tow the vehicle if:
(a) The authority has reason to believe the vehicle is disabled or abandoned; and
(b) The vehicle has been parked or left standing upon any public way for a period in excess of 24 hours without authorization by statute or local ordinance.
(2) The power to take vehicles into custody under this section is in addition to any power to take vehicles into custody under ORS 819.120.
(3) Subject to ORS 819.150, vehicles and the contents of vehicles taken into custody under this section are subject to a lien as provided under ORS 819.160.
(4) The person that tows a vehicle under this section shall have the vehicle appraised within a reasonable time by a person authorized to perform such appraisals under ORS 819.480.
(5) Vehicles taken into custody under this section are subject to sale or disposal under ORS 819.210 or 819.215 if the vehicles are not reclaimed as provided under ORS 819.150 or returned to the owner or person entitled to possession under ORS 819.190. [1983 c.338 §417; 1995 c.758 §8; 2009 c.371 §6]